the "secret" challenge:


A remark that I get often about my photography is that I have a certain way of capturing movement and emotion that a lot of other photographers can't quite grasp. I have to say that this skill is one that I pride myself in, because I worked very hard to refine it. It sounds like it might be tough, but it is really a simple process. Just keep in mind that"simple" here doesn't necessarily mean "easy and quick." Having said that, like any skill, it'll take patience and constructive criticism to refine your art. In the end though, it'll totally be worth it. Tired of my jabbering and ready for "the secret?" Alright. For me, the secret was starting a public 365 day photo self-portrait project. Turns out that you have to spend some time in front of the camera as well as behind the camera-- by doing this, you get to do BOTH. You get to look at the images and see what you liked, what you didn't like, you get to learn how space feels in a photo and what that felt space looks like as a finished project. Although I was never able to finish mine (I got a little more than halfway through! Full-time school, 2 jobs, having a band, and some tough circumstances won.) I did get over halfway through, and it was great having something that was both a visual diary to look back on and remember the emotions in a certain picture as well as a series of reference points to follow my growth from day-to-day. Here's an (in-order) smattering of some of my photos, I started this when I was 18 years old (before I even met CJ or started embracing my reddishness! WOW!). Let these images inspire you to create your OWN 365 day project. It's a lot, so here's the deal: if you're going to start one, leave a comment below telling me where you'll be posting it and when you'll be starting. (I posted mine on Flickr, it was easy to upload every day and also easy to receive constructive criticism from people!) I want to cheer you on during the process! Also, maybe you guys can cheer me on, because I hope to try (and complete) this project very soon!

When I did my 365 project, I didn't even have a Nikon remote or a self-focusing lens-- all it takes is a little creativity and a little ingenuity! Want to start off small? Try challenging yourself for a week, then a month. If you can keep up with that, why not? And again, let me know if you're deciding to go for this challenge!

xo, e.m.

10 comments

  1. Replies
    1. why thank ya, but I can't take any credit for it. also, wow! being called by my last name takes me back to highschool! $5 if you can pronounce it correctly...

      Delete
    2. haha i don't know why, but i had to holler at you by your last name. i'd take a stab at saying it, but i'm not going to type out my dumbness in case i'm wrong!

      Delete
  2. Wow, gorgeous portraits! I'm doing a 365 project this year and *so far* have kept it up since January! The thing that I get behind on though is actually posting the photos... I have been using ShutterCal, and I've still been taking a photo every day but I keep forgetting to post them! It's tricky, but you're right its definitely so worth while doing! You have inspired me to include more self portraits in mine, at the moment its hardly ever photos of me! x Rachel

    http://pointlessprettythings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Could I have a link to see? I checked your blog (which is very lovely by the way!) and couldn't find a link!

      And yes, if I were you, I'd try to fit as many portraits in as possible! It was really neat for me because when I started my 365, I was going through a really tough time in my life and it's cool to look at the pictures and see the transformation. Definitely keep it up, you're almost halfway there!

      Delete
  3. Breathtaking...each and every one.
    Consider me inspired :)

    ReplyDelete