delicious homemade edamame hummus

I LOVE me some hummus. It's just so good as a dip or as a sauce. (TIP: If you're trying to be more health-conscious, it's a great alternative to ranch dip for raw veggies!) I bought some canned chick peas with the intention of creating a hummus recipe and that is just what I did. I must say, it turned out pretty delicious! I didn't go with a traditional recipe, I added a few of my own favorite flavors and it worked out well for me, so I'll encourage you to use this recipe as a base and add your own flair!

What you'll need: One can of chick peas, 4 teaspoons of Tahini (roasted, not raw), a couple sprigs of cilantro, a handful of shelled edamame, 3/4 cup of water, 2 tablespoons of garlic-infused olive oil (warm garlic and red pepper in some olive oil!) and a dash of sea salt.

Begin with the chick peas and the water. I have a pretty small food processor but I was able to fit the entire can of chick peas. (Just not much else.) Process the chick peas alone for a minute or so (just to make some room!) and then add 1/2 a cup of water. Mix together until most of the large chunks are out and then add your olive oil. Process for another minute or so and then add the edamame and the tahini. Tahini, sesame seed paste, has been used traditionally in hummus recipes for centuries and it is an excellent source of protein. At this point, you may have to add the rest of the water, also.

The last thing is to add the cilantro and the salt. Add the salt slowly, you don't want to make it TOO salty. Grind some in, process and taste until you reach the desired flavor. You can also add some lemon juice at this point. Lemon juice, although a key component in traditional hummus recipes, wasn't necessary to my recipe and so I didn't use any. 

There you have it! This hummus was delicious with snow peas, my current favorite snack. I garnished it with a few more sprigs of cilantro and it looked nice enough to bring to a picnic or a party! 

Enjoy!
xo, e.m.


1 comment