banana ice cream


I am a sucker for ice cream. Going vegan, it was one of the hardest things to give up. I did find a few delicious non-dairy ice creams but come on. Who wants to spend $7 on a tiny carton of fake ice cream?  Exactly. I was browsing the web looking for things for my "things I like" feature when I stumbled upon a recipe (if you can even call it that) for frozen banana "ice cream." I tried it out and let me say, it did NOT disappoint. 

All that you'll need for this is bananas and a blender. I started out with one but ended up using 3 and got 3 servings out of it. The riper the banana, the sweeter the end product will be. Start out by cutting your bananas into large pieces. (I'd say about three pieces per banana.) Put these in the freezer for a few hours until they're hard.



After  letting the bananas freeze for a little while, take them out and cut them into smaller pieces. Place these smaller pieces in your blender. I used my Magic Bullet and I was afraid that the bananas would be too hard and be too much of a struggle for the small blade and motor but they ended up being fine. I added the tiniest amount of water and blended. I started with a little bit and then gradually added more. Continue to blend until it reaches the desired consistency. After this, you can either eat it the way it is or you can freeze it overnight. I opted to freeze it so that it would be a little more refreshing, although it wouldn't be as rich or creamy.
I  actually ate mine for breakfast with a breakfast with some Bing Cherries (my favorite!) and it was delicious. It's a great little treat that you won't have to feel bad about enjoying!
xo, e.m.






4 comments

  1. Homemade banana icecream - that sounds delicioussss! I hope to try it some day soon.

    http://www.tamarasblend.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! The best part is that it's SO good and so much better for you than regular ice cream!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I am vegetarian and have considered going vegan, but don't know if I could ever give up cheese... At least now I know I could give up ice cream without missing out too much! :)

    Also, I just found your blog today and have now spent at least two hours looking through all of your lovely posts. Following you on bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete