looking good in pictures

It might sound a little strange, but lately, my clients and friends have been asking me, "how can I look good in pictures?" I'm certainly no expert in this, nor do I claim to be! I'm lucky because since I'm the one who puts the pictures up on here, I can pick and choose which ones make me look good and disregard those that make me look erm... less than attractive. (And boy, there are a LOT!) However, I can share a couple of pointers for you from a photographer's perspective, hopefully they'll be helpful!


Know a way of standing that is flattering to your body type. I don't know what happened here in this picture with CJ and I. I love it because it's taken on the Great Wall of China but that's about it. If that small detail wasn't there, I would hate this picture because my hips look HUGE! You live and you learn though. If you're going to go anywhere where you know you'll be getting your picture taken, like an engagement shoot or a family photo, stand in front of the mirror and find what's natural and flatters you most. Good posture will help exponentially! See the difference between the top photo and the bottom two?




Sun in your eyes? Ask your photographer to try a backlit photo. I LOVE backlit photos. (Example above.) There is nothing worse than a squinty sun-gazing photo. They're washed out, unflattering, everything. If you stand between the sun and the photographer, you can achieve this nice glow'y effect and avoid burning your retinas.


Having your picture taken can be awkward. Get over it. Unless you're in front of the camera day in and day out, it can certainly be strange. I'm only just starting to get used to taking outfit photos with CJ. Know that your awkwardness will show in pictures and make it a point to be as natural as possible. If you're a couple going for an engagement shoot, suggest to your photographer that you want to have the photos taken in a familiar place, like a favorite park or coffee shop. Bring props that are comfortable to you, just be as natural as possible. Pose to a certain extent but pretend that the camera isn't there. If worst comes to worst, simply look away from the camera. As you'll notice, I do this a lot!


Let your personality shine! If you're quirky, don't be afraid to show it. It sounds cliche but just be yourself. Don't be afraid to be a little goofy. It'll help you feel more comfortable in front of the camera and it's always fun to laugh at yourself later.

Hopefully these few tips were helpful to you!
xo, e.m.



3 comments

  1. You're gorgeous! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

  2. In the name of God the Merciful We in the light of UK companies offer the best services in all cleaning Katenziv in apartments , boards and cabinets and Villas
    شركة نور المملكة
    شركة تنظيف بمكة
    And also we provide insect control for all insects flying and crawling and rat extermination
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بجازان
    We also offer moving furniture needed by everyone because of the expiration of the lease time or travel service
    شركة الصفرات لنقل الاثاث بالرياض
    And safety and God's mercy and blessings


    ReplyDelete