what I've learned:

If you're here frequently, you know that I love to make cocktails. Mixing and thinking up new combinations is one of my favorite hobbies. It's always a pleasure to make special drinks for special occasions and special people! Something I've found is that there are a few basic formulas for coming up with new cocktail recipes. I'm going to share a few of them here so that you guys can get out and make some of your own delicious drinks. 

If you don't have a liquor cart or cabinet in your home, a good place to start is one bottle of vodka, one bottle of whisky, grenadine syrup, simple syrup, and club soda. You'll use these the most! Also invest in a couple liqueurs/cordials that strike your fancy. Some good tools to have on hand are a muddler and a shaker/strainer. 

Make it bubbly. There's a reason why "the classics" are called "the classics." Timeless combinations such as vodka & club soda, vodka & sprite, rum & coke, and Jack & coke are great go-to's at the bar and can be a lot of fun to add on to when you're mixing drinks at home. I like to add fresh muddled fruit (berries are always a good idea) and syrups such as grenadine or lime. One great example of this formula is The Buck Slap Cocktail. Play around with garnishes to make your already fancier-than-normal beverage even more impressive.

Make it fruity. If bubbles aren't your thing, (this may just be me but sometimes carbonation is just not something I want to deal with) juice is also a great base for cocktails. Lemonade and orange juice are popular but why stop there? I love mixing drinks with grapefruit juice, pineapple juice, and coconut milk as well. Need a little inspiration? This Vodka Raspberry Lemonade is a good place to start.

Make it classy. Who doesn't love wine? There are so many different kinds to choose from that it's difficult not to. Dessert wines and champagne add a little extra class to a cocktail. These can be a bit tricky to mix with because of how varied the tastes are but a little research online will go a long way. My Fleur de Lillet Martini and Berry Grapefruit Cocktail both use wine or champagne.


Cocktail still a little dull? Never underestimate the power of syrups. They're heavier than the other liquids that typically get mixed into a cocktail so they'll add a pretty ombré effect. These are always great to have on hand because there are so many different flavors and colors to choose from, there's one for every mood. They're also fairly inexpensive so stock up!

Happy mixing! Remember to drink responsibly.

xo,
e.m.

7 comments

  1. St Germain is my favorite. I put it in everything.

    Been thinking about doing some cocktails on my blog (putting my ex-mixologist skills to use) but not had the time yet.

    What's your favourite?

    Love your blog and look forward to seeing more posts like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My favorite (as of right now) is absolutely the Fleur de Lillet martini listed above. It's delicious!

      Delete
  2. I've never been a fan of mixed drinks (I have a hard time getting past the alcohol taste), but these drinks sound soooo delicious! I may just have to get over it and try some of these out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give them a try, they'll all really really great. (Although I am a bit biased...)

      Delete
  3. I'm a simple vodka/coke or gin/tonic kind of a girl. When I do venture out of those I usually go for something with fresh fruit in it. You seem to put a lot of fresh fruit into yours. I need to give a recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing is, I am too! But when I'm at home, especially in this hot, hot weather, fruit is a GREAT addition.

      Delete
  4. I love this, I'm just learning new combinations. I usually just mix some Veev and Pomegranate Juice with a can of Blood Orange Pellegrino.

    Mana
    Fashion and Happy Things

    ReplyDelete