I ♥ B&W

As I was finishing up Bryan & Taylor's wedding, I accidentally converted one of the images to black and white. I've never been a huge fan of (digital) black and white images. Maybe a little something here and there but converting digital photos to black and white seemed to me to be.... cheating? After seeing one of my photos in black and white though, I realized that greyscale can be a wonderful tool. Perhaps it's because colors are such a powerful entity in themselves that color can actually take away from the emotion in a photograph? Certain photographs, that is. With the absence of bright colors, something like a smile becomes just a smile and speaks for itself, therefore becoming more powerful. That's just me though. Make any sense? This is my charge to you though, if you've never played around with black and white, try it out. Just don't "overdo" it, wink wink!

xo,
e.m.

11 comments

  1. I love black and white.. but just the occasional one in between vivid color. All of these pictures are beautiful! I think my favorite is the one where she's looking at him. Her smile makes the whole picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that one too, it was such a beautiful moment that I shan't easily forget :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures. So classic. They are so in love it made my eyes all watery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're the sweetest couple I've ever met, I'm glad that it shows in the pictures!

      Delete
  3. So beautiful! That dress is amazing. The style of these photos is absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think black and white really suits a certain type of photo, and it gives them a vintage feel. The vintage details in this wedding suits black and white perfectly! Its always good to experiment.

    X
    Molly
    thecottagediaries.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I hope they'll especially love these black and whites because they were totally going for a vintage feel. :)

      Delete
  5. With some digi-cams, you can set the image preferences to B&W...thus you won't be 'cheating'.
    No way to un-do it in postprocessing, so you better be sure.
    Not the same as a Hassy loaded with Pan-X, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Nothing beats analog black and white. Nothin'.

      Delete