keeping red hair red (and healthy!)

More often than the color of my hair, I'm complimented on the health of it. People must automatically assume that I treat my hair with tons of chemicals every single day. Not true, not at all! I've been coloring my hair this shade of red for quite some time so I've had a lot of time to experiment with it. I've learned the difficult way what NOT to do so I can help you all know what TO do! First, let's start with the basics:

1. Know that it's a commitment. Red hair is tough to keep up with, especially within the first few months because until your hair is "stained," it will keep wanting to fade back to the original color. It can literally be one color and then you'll wake up the next day and it'll be a completely different color. Be aware that you may have to color your hair every three weeks or less until you can get it to be a little more consistent.

2. Know your complexion. If you're thinking of going red, you have to understand that it may take a very particular shade of red to compliment your skin tone and that you may have to go through a long period of trial and error to find the perfect shade. 

3. No matter what method of dying you use, shampoo your hair right after dying instead of just rinsing it. This will keep the color from being too extreme. In the top picture here, I didn't do that and I got this "fire engine red" color that wasn't very flattering. I did utilize this method for the photo on the bottom, and I got a more orange'y color. It's less bright and more natural. 

4. Be as natural as possible. Use natural products so that they will work alongside the chemistry of your body. I don't use a lot of products in my hair... at all. I wash it with Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree Castile soap. This works for me as a shampoo and a conditioner. If I need some extra softness, I will rinse with apple cider vinegar. For the dye, I use Surya Brasil henna cream in Mahogany. And that's it!

 
 5. Don't be afraid of a little grit. What I am about to ask you may cause you to label me as a scumbag hipster but it's good advice so I don't care what you think of me! One of my biggest secrets is that I only wash my hair once (maybe twice) a week. You'll be amazed at the results. Try going every other day without washing and then see how it goes from there. Also, think of all of the time you'll save not having to style your hair (perhaps that's how I have enough time for my blog?)

xo, e.m.

9 comments

  1. Hi I was wondering what colour your hair was before you dyed it? I'm about to use this same shade and I love the effect you got by washing it straight after, but my hair is medium/dark brown so I thought it might take too much colour away. What do you reckon? Lovely pics, great tips xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! First of all, thank you! When I first colored my hair red, I had bleached it a few months earlier so it was kind of orange'y brown with blonde mixed it. It was very bright at first but after months of dying, it toned down a lot! I have naturally dark hair and washing it right after has never taken away too much of the color. My suggestion to you would be to use a more mild shampoo.

      Delete
  2. Hi I also love your colour and am looking at purchasing the surya henna I was wondering if you have to lighten your roots to achieve this colour. I have a medium brown naturally and dont wont to damage hair with lightening it and wondered if this colour would work on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I didn't have to lighten my roots at all. The henna doesn't lighten the way that regular dye does but it still covers because it kind of "coats" the hair instead of "dissecting" the hair. I have pretty dark roots and it was no problem for me!

      Delete
  3. Heyy, your colour is so nice! What is the brand and the number? thank you :) Marta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! It's called "Mahogany" and it's from the Surya Brasil brand. You can find it at Whole Foods or online :)

      Delete
  4. Hey there!
    I'm really happy about finding this post from you. On my was from natural redhead to Henna, to chemical red and back to Henna I'll now try to use Surya Brasil creme in the same color as you. Maybe you can tell me how long it stays bright and when it beginns to fade.

    thx
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete