A Uniform of Sorts

Dressing for work is a challenge for me. When I got my first "big girl" job at a TV station, I felt the need to dress like a news anchor. I would squeeze myself into shapely dresses and torture my feet with sky-high stilettos. I then realized how unbelievably unnecessary that all was and began mixing casual blouses with jeans and flats, after which I realized that I function much better when I'm at least a little dressed up. What happened then was some sort of phenomenon: after a few months of documenting my clothing choices, I realized that without even trying, all of my work clothes were a monochromatic blend of black, white, and the occasional grey. (It's true. So, so true.)

I like to think of it as my uniform. I guess somewhere along the way, I realized that this combination made me feel newsroom-appropriate, confident and still very much "myself." I don't have to worry about what I'm going to wear when I roll out of bed in the morning after pressing the snooze button once or twice. I just grab a white blouse, some black bottoms, my headphones, my train tokens, an avocado, and I'm good to go.

xo,
e.m.

p.s. while going through the archives, I realized that I wore this top almost exactly a year ago! Oh, how things have changed... 

top/ Elle (similar), trousers/ Cynthia Rowley (similar), jacket/ GAP, shoes/ F21, necklace/ Anthropologie (similar), bag/ Marc by Marc Jacobs (I also love it in grey and this retro red bag for under $200!), watch/ Michael Kors, sunglasses/ Ray-Ban

**photos by Danielle Conyers. Follow her on Instagram!

9 comments

  1. that purse is the perfect pop of colour to any outfit!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. nike air max 2015 pas cher mais il semble très familier, mais de toute évidence de la mauvaise façon. nike air max 2015 pas cher Quelqu'un va vous nike air max 2015 pas cher apprendre, vous regardez en arrière. nike air max 2015 pas cher Je ne comprends http://www.airmax2015factory.fr tout simplement pas la partition, vous laissez-moi comment la pratique. salon pas cher en face de touches de piano noir et blanc nike air max 2015 pas cher ressemblait à un singe regarder les orangs-outans, .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can feel that the articles contained in this blog is so interesting. I also get a variety informasin, thanks.
    obat tradisional tumor abdomen

    ReplyDelete