PLAYLIST: Beautiful As Days Can Be

For the past few years, I've shared an autumn playlist on the blog. (Here's last year's if you're curious.) I'm completely aware that it's not fall just yet but I figured that I might as well get you in the spirit since, before you know it, we'll all be in a pumpkin patch, sipping Salted Caramel Mochas. (The far superior autumnal beverage.) 


My sorrow, when she's here with me, thinks these dark days of autumn rain are beautiful as days can be; she loves the bare, the withered tree; she walks the sodden pasture lane. Robert Frost
I know a lot of people feel depressed when the weather gets chillier and the days get shorter but for me, it's the complete opposite. I feel content in the fall. I don't know what it is but the brisk air does wonders for my mental health. I still feel a certain amount of sadness but it's an exciting kind of sadness. It's less despondency and more hopefulness. These songs sum up my feelings going into September and October in the midst of recovering from a pretty rough spring and summer. While the breeze gets a little cooler, I get excited for the first time in a while. The changing of the seasons always comes with some significance but autumn is the most beautiful to me because it represents a necessary death. Just like leaves must die (and do so very beautifully) to make room for fresh, new foliage, we must learn when to shed our layers. This could mean a friendship, a career, or a romantic relationship. It doesn't mean these things never had any special meaning, it just means that all good things must end and we need to known when to let go because resistance would only cause us more pain. The trees let their leaves fall and just rest for some time, and so must we. This is especially important for me this year, as I'm learning life in general just isn't as "easy" as I thought it would be. Knowing that after every demise there is a beautiful new beginning is helping me to get by and giving me the peace to make tough decisions for the sake of my mental health.

I hope you enjoy the music! Of course, if you like any of these songs or artists, you should buy their music because their labor of love deserves to be rewarded. As always, let me know what you're listening to, because I'm always looking for some new tunes.

xo,
e.m.

2 comments